Monday, April 26, 2021

John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza - Monday 6-8PM Pacific - Nirvana October 30, 1991 & Buzzcocks December 15, 1979

 

John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza

Monday's 6-8PM Pacific

http://radiovalencia.fm


I saw Nirvana twice. Once in San Jose in 1990, of which I recall nothing. It's possible I didn't even watch the show, which is strange because I loved "Bleach". I'm sure it's just my memory. The second time I saw them was weeks after the release of the industry-altering single "Smells Like Teen Spirit", October 26, 1991 at The Warfield in San Francisco. I was a staffer at KFJC and we had tickets to give away, as well as a bunch of tickets for staff. I actually asked for the 91st caller when I was giving tickets away on my show. We only had five phone lines. That was a brilliant move. I got the 91st caller, by the way, who I believe was also the 20th, 31st, 50th and 66th. Or something like that. 

I have two memories of that night, besides the amazing set. And yes, it was quite good. The first was me standing on the floor, up front near the stage, during the opening acts, Tad, and Sister Double Happiness. The crowd was so thick that it felt like we were a human wave, literally. I was bending right and left, feet off the floor. My shoe laces came untied and I knew I had to get out of there before Nirvana came on stage. There was no walking off that floor, so I shouted at the top of my lungs "OUT", and proceeded to be lifted over the crowd and off the floor. I ended up watching the entire show three steps up, on the next tier above the crowd. I could not have chosen a more perfect place to see such a great show.

The second memory I have is after the show, walking to my my '67 Mustang (not nearly as nice as you might think it was). It was parked just off Market Street about two blocks from the theater. As I was walking towards my car I noticed that at least one window was smashed out of each car along the street. My heart sank as I saw that my front wing window was not spared. I was used to having my cars broken into over the years, so I never kept anything of value in the car. However, I had a friend with me, and they left their coat in the backseat. Sorry about that, Elizabeth. 

The show I'm sharing with you tonight is the show a few nights later in Vancouver on October 30, 1991. It's a strong showing from a band that wasn't on burn out quite yet. Kurt left us 27 years ago this month at the age of 27. I remember where I was when I heard the news. Though there are bands from that era that I gravitate to more (Mudhoney and Melvins), Nirvana will always hold a special place in my heart. 


For the second hour is a band I am ashamed I never spent much time with before the death of Pete Shelley in December 2018. Though "Orgasm Addict" was always a hilarious tune to throw on the air, Buzzcocks had so much more to share with the world beyond that titular track. I could listen to "Singles Going Steady" every day and not get tired of. I'm just sad that I didn't do a deeper dive into this brilliant Manchester band before Shelley's passing. 

You lucky people get to enjoy an hour of this band from their San Francisco appearance at The Temple Beautiful (former home of Jim Jones' congregation, before Bill Graham took it over again), December 15, 1979. Enjoy the hell out of this great show. I know I have.

Stick around for Hell's Kitchen Radio, 8-10PM Pacific Monday night for my "Hello/Goodbye" special. 

Enjoy.

jh

No comments: