Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Make A Request!

John Hell is calling on you to make a request!

So this is rare. Most radio and club DJs I know don't take requests. You think when you call into a commercial radio station that they are eager to take one, and you're just jazzed when sure enough your choice shows up in the next set or three. 

Truth be told, if you're calling into a radio station to make a request, that song is already on the list to be played. Sorry to burst your bubble. Radio stations don't take risks like that. I used to work in commercial radio, and people were always calling for a song that was already popular on the station. And if someone called for a deep album cut, or something way off base, there was no way that was going to get on.

I worked for 97.3FM-Alice for a while, and the music director would hand me the playlist. If there was time left in the hour after the list was exhausted (meaning there weren't enough commercials already programmed for the hour. Commercials get placed on the program log first, folks) I had to choose filler music from the approved list. Sorry, no Flipper for you.

Even on my own show on Radio Valencia, it's very rare for me to take a request, unless it's from a select chosen few. No offense if you're not on that list. I'm no elitist. I just want to play the best of the best for you, and there are a few people I really trust to offer me up a track if the opportunity presents itself.

So consider this a gift. On my Monday night Live Bootleg Bonanza, I've just hit the 40th show mark. I have played complete shows from 68 bands. And each has been a treat. Now I'm asking you to request a show or artist you want me to play. 

Start by going to my database of shows. This list is not exhaustive. I would say it's 65% complete. However, if you see an artist you like, I may have a bunch of shows I have yet to get up on the list.

So go ahead, check out my bootleg list and let me know what you want to hear. I may choose a better show from that artist, or perhaps a better source, but I really want to know what you want. 

To let me know, you can either leave a comment (preferred), or hit me up on Facebook Messenger (if you're a personal friend). Or follow me on Instagram and hit me up there.

I'm excited to know what you want to hear. 

John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza
Mondays 6-8PM Pacific
Radio Valencia in SF

http://radiovalencia.fm
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram

2 comments:

Chastason said...

Tom Waits, Sydney, Australia February 7, 1979

Patrick said...

Pretenders Santa Monica 1981.. just about the 40th anniversary (09/94/1981).. great version on gawd