Monday, August 05, 2024

Hell's Kitchen Radio #537: Fighting For A Medal

Listen to this show right here!!!

Listen into all my shows here!

Subscribe to my show, via Subscribe via iTunes

Have you been enjoying the Olympics as much as I have? 

I am curious though about some of the track and field events. Who wakes up in the morning and decides they are going to put themselves on the world map by throwing the shotput? I'm just curious. In my younger concert-going days (I still go to a lot of live shows) there were moments when the music moved me to jump quite a bit. More pogoing than anything. I could catch quite a bit of air. Maybe I missed my calling?

Either way, the Olympics has been brilliant and a real highlight of my summer break. 

Doing a radio show at a free form station is like a participating in some kind of competitive sport. There's always this need to one up another DJ when it comes to obscure artists. 

I went to the "Art of Noise" exhibit at the SF MOMA a week ago with three KFJC alumni: Dominic Trix, Mark Dharms, and Claud Maul. It is an incredible show, and I encourage you all to go if you live in the Bay Area. At lunch, before we went to the museum, much of the talk was about music, of course. And it was hilarious the obscure artists we brought up. Such is the life in competitive DJing.

As for this show you are about to enjoy (I enjoyed bringing it to you), there are a few spotlights in there. I start off with a tribute to MCA from the Beastie Boys, follow it up with a John Mayal tribute, and then I focus on King Buzzo and Trevor Dunn who I saw at the Chapel last Tuesday night, by playing Buzzo and Dunn-related tunes. 

There is a method to my madness after all.

Where's my medal?!

Enjoy and please share.

jh

Hell's Kitchen Radio with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram 

Darkest Light: Lafayette Afro Rock Band
Live at PJs: Beastie Boys

Loren's Dance: Idris Muhammad
All Your Love: John Mahal and His Bluesbreakers (ft. Eric Clapton)

Got To Better In A Little While: Derek and the Dominos
Heavy Music: Bob Seger

Six Pack: King Buzzo with Trevor Dunn
Let Me Roll It: Melvins
Book 1, Page 4: Fantomas

Eracist: Mr. Bungle
You Look Funny When You Cry: JD Pinkus
I'll Take Your Word For It: Redd Kross

Bean Fields: Shannon and the Clams
Rock n Roll McDonalds: Wesley Willis
Ha Ha Ha: Flipper
The Lady Loves Me: Elvis Presley and Ann Margaret

String Along: Heavy Blanket
Side Two (Themes 2): Psychic TV
Find Me A Woman: John Lee Hooker

Pontiac Blues: Sonnyboy Williamson with the Yardbords
My Way: Elvis Presley

No comments: