Sunday, January 23, 2022

John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza - Monday 6-8PM Pacific - Pink Floyd - Various (1967 - 1971)

 

John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza

Monday's 6-8PM Pacific

http://radiovalencia.fm



Can I tell you my love of Pink Floyd? My very first live bootleg was Pink Floyd, June 18, 1975, Boston Garden. That is one tape I still wish I owned, even though I have had a quality Dan Lampinski flac upgrade for over a decade now. 

Like many I was into the Dark Side of the Moon and later releases. I spent many a fine night, tripping the night fantastic listening to Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall. The Final Cut and later releases didn't get a whole lot of listening to, though I did enjoy A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and I saw that tour live in Oakland, in the rain, on a few hits of windowpane, in April 1988. Fun times.

I kept getting pulled towards the pre-DSotM-era Floyd. Once I saw Live at Pompeii I was hooked. I was probably 18 or 19 when I saw it the first time, and just knew that tunes like Careful With That Axe, Eugene and especially Echoes, really did me in. I had to have more. I also dove head first into Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and fell deeply in love with Syd Barrett, going so far to purchase his two officially released solo effort, Madcap Laughs and Barrett. I was working a Tower Records in San Mateo when the Barrett solo compilation Opal was released. Such a fabulous collection. 

I gobbled up every book about the book I could find. I think "Bricks in the Wall" continues to be my favorite read about them. I recently purchased a used version of the Glenn Povey book, "In the Flesh", which I quickly took a highlighter to. There are a few shows I still need acquire.

Speaking of shows, tonight I have a mix of live Pink Floyd to share with you. I'm starting out with two tracks featuring Syd, Scream Thy Last Scream, recorded August 7, 1967, and Vegetable Man, recorded October 9, 10, or 11, 1967. 

Lineage: "What Syd Wants" - Harvested Records (HRV CDR 032) - dat(master)>eac>flac

Following these two treats I have three tracks from the Piper Club, Rome, Italy "First European International Pop Festival", 6th May 1968. This is just five months after Syd left (got kicked out? Was left on the side of the road?) and David Gilmore joined. Their covering three Syd-era songs, but they sound good and fresh with the addition of Gilmore.



Astronomy Domine
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Interstellar Overdrive

Lineage: 'Old Symphonies' - Godfather Records (G.R.) 125 - Silver CD > FLAC

This is followed by three tracks from the Paris Theatre, London, 16th July, 1970. The material is taken from 2005 BBC-FM re-broadcasts and appears here in the best ever sound quality.
Embryo
Green Is The Colour
Careful With That Axe, Eugene
Atom Heart Mother (orchestra versions) 

Lineage: 'Old Symphonies' - Godfather Records (G.R.) 125 - Silver CD > FLAC

The last show I have to share is from Paris Cinema, London, England, 30th September, 1971 (my 1st birthday!!!) I have chosen two of the most brilliant tracks from this show:
Fat Old Sun
Echoes

Lineage: Meddled - Harvested CDR 001

Eleven tracks, two hours, pure bliss. 

Support these bands. Buy their officially released music and merch, and never ever sell live bootlegs. These are for trade only. 

Stick around Monday's 8-10PM Pacific for my weekly music mix, Hell's Kitchen Radio. Lots of new music to share with you every week.

Enjoy and pay it forward.

jh

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook

Follow me on Instagram  

 

No comments: