Monday, January 25, 2021

John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza - Monday, January 25, 2021 - 6-8PM Pacific - Grateful Dead and Santana

                John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza

Monday's 6-8PM Pacific


Throughout my decades in radio I have enjoyed playing cuts from my live bootleg library. It was recently that I decided to take on this 6pm slot until someone else comes to fill it, and share some complete shows with you. For some reason or another I have shied away from sharing the band I have the most shows of: The Grateful Dead. Starting tonight, I am done holding back. Allow the floodgates to open, because in hour one I bring you a set that really lets you know this band means business.

Enjoy a monster of a set from the Primal-Dead era: February 23, 1968. Much has been written about this era of the band, so I will just allow the music to do the talking. This is my go-to era for the band, followed closely by 1973. Honestly, my "go-to" changes as the wind blows. I may dedicate at least one hour per week to the Grateful Dead, moving forward. I have yet to decide.


In hour two, I was thinking of pairing the Dead with another band from that same show, but instead decided on another hot San Francisco band, with a blistering lead guitarist who went to high school just a few short miles from Jerry Garcia (who attended Balboa High School). The Santana band was really hard to match in 1969. What a brilliant lineup of youths who would go on to capture the attention of the Woodstock audience and those who saw the film. Carlos Santana attended Mission High School, btw.

Enjoy this show from February 14, 1969, just in time for St. Valentine's Day. All because I love you. Hell is love.

Stick around for my weekly two hour music mix, Hell's Kitchen Radio, coming up 8-10PM Pacific, Monday night.

Are you enjoying these shows? Leave a comment.

Want to see what's in my bootleg library? I have about 60% noted in this database at this time. I really need to update it. Let me know if you have a request.

No comments: