Monday, July 01, 2024

Hell's Kitchen Radio #534: When The Revolution Comes

Listen to this show right here!!!

Listen into all my shows here!

Subscribe to my show, via Subscribe via iTunes

June was Black Music Month. I took Monday night to play a number of Black Power music. Honestly, I could host a weekly show of this and not nearly scratch the surface.

Some of this you'll recognize, but I bet dollars to donuts (mmmm donuts) you haven't heard it all.

I shared some Soul, Funk, R&B, Hiphop, Reggae, Dub and Jazz. I then pivoted to some brand spankin' new Redd Kross, that may be my favorite record of theirs! No kidding! Also, some new Shannon and the Clams and recent Iggy Pop. I close out the show with a little tribute to Kinky Friedman, who passed away last week.

Once again, i'm back in the studio every Monday after hosting live in the studio every other Monday for the past year. It's so much fun doing this show every week. I really feel that I can get into a better groove for you. Pun intended!

Enjoy this holiday this week, regardless of what the Supreme Court ruled this week. In the words of the brilliant Apu Nahasapeemapetilon celebrate the birth of the country by blowing up a small part of it.

Enjoy and please share.

jh

Hell's Kitchen Radio with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram 

If There's A Hell Below (We're All Gonna Go): Curtis Mayfield
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised: Gil Scott-Heron

When The Revolution Comes: The Last Poets
A Change is Gonna Come: Aretha Franklin

The World is a Ghetto: War
Freedom: Richie Havens
Mississippi Goddamn: Nina Simone
God Bless the Child: Kenny Burrell

My Favorite Mutiny: The Coup
Fight the Power: Public Enemy

Crazy Baldhead/Running Away: Bob Marley and the Wailers (June 2, 1977)
Young, Gifted and Broke: Aura and Lee "Scratch" Perry
War: The Mighty Two - Joe Gibbs

Say It Loud (I'm Black and I'm Proud): James Brown
Fuck the Police: NWA
Strange Fruit: Billie Holiday

Candy Colored Catastrophe: Redd Kross
Frenzy: Iggy Pop
Sweet Jane: Lou Reed

Real or Magic: Shannon and the Clams
They Ain't Making Jews Like Jesus Anymore: Kinky Friedman


No comments: