Monday, December 19, 2022

Hell's Kitchen Radio #500: No, You're the Special One

Listen in right HERE - Part One
and HERE - Part Two 

Listen into all my shows here!
Subscribe to my show, via Subscribe via iTunes

Well, that was one Hell of a great night. And way too fast. Monday night I celebrated my 500th show on Radio Valencia. I've been doing weekly radio shows, with little interruption, since the fall of 1990. In the early days I taped a lot of my shows on cassette. And most of those were only the air breaks so I could go back and critique myself, hoping to learn how to improve my delivery.

Some of these early shows are so embarrassing that I can't be in the same room with the cassette!

Many of those old shows also have some excellent music mixes in there. Maybe I need to cringe a little bit and give them a listen?

I produced my 500th show in radio many many years ago, but hosting my 500th on the station I started gives a really warm feel to everything. We flipped the switch on Radio Valencia in August of 2010. I started hosting Mondays 8-10PM right away; a slot I held at three previous stations: San Francisco Liberation Radio (2000 - 2003), Pirate Cat (2005 - 2007) and FCCFree Radio (2007 - 2009). I've hosted a few specials while at RV that I never numbered, so I'm guessing I'm closer to 520, but who's counting?

On this special night I put the word out to staff and friends to come hang out. Big thanks to Radio Valencia staffers Darcy, Johnny and Edwin from Skeevy Sideshow, Wednedsays 6-10pm; Doug and Emily from Beyond All Limits, who were kind enough to yield their Monday 10-midnight slot so I could host four hours on this night. Darren from Bo's Veranda (Mondays 4-6pm) also came and hung out. Friends of RV also brought the love, including my dear friends Yas, John Law (SF Cacaphony Society, Billboard Liberation Front, ex-Suicide Club), musician Robin Coomer and her dear mate Matt "The Cleaner"!

The music was a mix of favorites from 2022 and others that are currently rolling through my brain. See the playlist below. 

What do I have planned for the next 500 shows? I have zero clue what I have planned for #501 let alone #1000. Tune in Mondays 8-10PM Pacific and hear for yourself.

Check out these milestone episodes:

Enjoy and please share this treat.

And if you're wondering, the picture at the top is my face covering the faces of my parents, Harvey and Pat circa 1975. My dad had his hair permed, which was the style at the time. So did my mom. Such swingers. HA!

jh

Hell's Kitchen Radio with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram 

I Heard it on the X: Olivelawn
Loren's Dance: Idris Muhammad

Channel Zero: Public Enemy
They Threw Me Out Of Church: Wesley Willis

Concrete Jungle: The Specials
The Biggest Blow: Sex Pistols with Ronnie Biggs
Looking For A Kiss: New York Dolls
White Riot: The Clash
Money (That's What I Want): The Flying Lizards

The Payback Mix: James Brown
Fairies Wear Boots: Brown Sabbath

Paranoid: Jazz Sabbath
Undertaker: Mark Growden

Redless: Othered
Hall of the Oyster King: Glitter Wizard
Attractive Target: Negativland

O Tannenbaum/Hava Nagilla: Phat Man Dee
Merry Christmas From The Family: Robert Earl Keen Jr.
A Christmas Song: Jethro Tull
Golden Frames: Shannon Shaw

Greta Van Fake: The Bobby Lees
You Better Have A Gun: Fantastic Negrito
Phantoms: Czarface and MF Doom
Portland, Oregon: Loretta Lynn

The Dripping Tap: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
Tommy in Seven Minutes: Vital on 45

Night Goat: Melvins
Plastic Plant: Thee Oh Sees
Cardboard Pile: Kikagaku Moyo

I'm Waiting For The Man: Lou Reed
Quicksand (2021 Early Mix): David Bowie
Telephone Call From Istanbul: Tom Waits

Free: Ty Segall
Bee Karma: WAND
Vera (2022): Roger Waters

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere: Neil Young and the Promise Real
I Bid You Goodnight: Joseph Spence & The Pinder Family

No comments: