Sunday, June 12, 2022

John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza - Monday 6-8PM Pacific - Kikagaku Moyo (2021) & KGLW Filler

 

John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza

Monday's 6-8PM Pacific

http://radiovalencia.fm

DOWNLOAD THIS SHOW RIGHT HERE!!!

You ever get on the bus too late? Yeah, I hate when that happens. In this case, I found out about Japanese psych band, Kikagaku Moyo close to a year ago, shortly before they played to a sold out crowd in San Francisco; a show I could have attended, but decided not to. For shame. And then I read that they are embarking on their final tour as a band before calling it quits, because, you know, they're more successful than ever, so let's call it quits. Smart!

So they announce a farewell tour, and I see online when the Bay Area show is going to be, and I place the date tickets are going on sale onto my calendar, with an alarm set! I'm so psyched. I tell everyone I know to get tickets to this show! And then the morning of the ticket sale happens and I remember at the very last moment that I'll be in Yosemite the day of the show. Nice

I did talk my buddy Eric into going, having never even heard the band before. He went. He took his wife. They love it.

So now I notice I am never to see this incredible band ever again, and low and behold they announce one more North American swing this coming fall!!! I did not hesitate to get my tickets this time. Please catch them before they move on to whatever is making them break up. I mean really, wtf? 

This show is taken from November 19, 2021 at the Empty Bottle in Chicago, Illinois. I have never heard of this club, but this matrix recording is really good, so it tells me the room is solid. If you've never heard Kikagaku Moyo, calling them a psych band is really not doing them justice. They play traditional rock instruments, along with sitar. They have had more success outside of Japan, often playing the festival circuits. Their songs are long and build up to a strong jamming steam. 

Their name translates to "geometric patterns" after their drummer which the drummer Go Kurosawa suggested as a band name after getting visuals caused by sleep deprivation during a long jam session at night.

Lineage: This is a matrix recording
Source 1: mono soundboard feed
Source 2: Beyerdynamic MC 930 stereo pair (ORTF)
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre 6 at 24/48
Software: Audacity, Fission, xAct

I had a little bit of time left following this set, so I added some filler from King Gizard and the Lizard Wizard (who has played a few times with Kikagaku Moyo) from June 19, 2015 at the Bowery Ballroom in New York City. I shared the final two tracks from this stellar performance. I played this entire King Gizzard show on here January 4, 2021, and you can find it here.

You can find my mostly-complete list of live shows right here. Have a request? Leave a comment.

Support these bands. Buy their officially released music and merch, and never ever sell live bootlegs. These are for trade only.

Stick around Monday's 8-10PM Pacific for my weekly music mix, Hell's Kitchen Radio. Lots of new music to share with you every week.

Enjoy and pay it forward.

jh

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook

Follow me on Instagram   

  

No comments: