Monday, June 22, 2020

Hell's Kitchen Radio #398: State Of The Reincarnation

Download the Gospel HERE

Listen into all my shows here!
Subscribe to my show, via Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe to my Spotify Podcast HERE!

I Am Not Your Jukebox!

In no way am I trying to mock the late great philosopher, historian, educator, and writer, James Baldwin. He was a true master; much more eloquent than I could ever hope to be. 

However, the truth remains, I am not here for you to put a quarter in and expect your choice of song to jump out. That wouldn't be fair to you, myself, nor the listener. I rarely take a request, and when I do I only trust a few people that I have known to have a stellar reputation for musical knowledge to throw me a track during me show. Damn, what an elitist bougie bastard I am! No, I'm an artist. I have a two hour aural canvas I'm painting for you with sound. 

I do love it when bands send me their music. I do love it when bands send me their music. Case in point, I love this new release from local Bay Area band The Campbell Apartment, and I'm thrilled they shared music from their latest release "Curmudgeon" with me. And thank you Ari and crew for allowing me to choose the track I played tonight! But I'm no sycophant. And it's hard, you know? I'm friendly with so many amazing musicians, who's music I really enjoy listening to more often than not. That being said, if you're sending me music you want me to play, please be prepared for me to choose the track I think best fits on my show. I'm not saying this because some bands have given me flack for not playing their chosen single. I cannot think of the last time that even happened. I'm just trying to keep the boundaries clear.

Got it? Great. Thanks.

I have two goals for my show for the second half of 2020.
  1. Stay alive
  2. Buy more music
  3. Play a more diverse selection of genres
  4. PLAY MORE WOMEN ARTIST!!!
  5. Host other shifts during the week to showcase my live bootleg collection
  6. Get into our new studio and make it the best studio Radio Valencia has had
  7. Interview kick ass musicians who love their craft
  8. Make love
  9. Start a revolution
OK, that was nine goals. I think I've got this.

When I said earlier that I don't take requests, that doesn't mean you can't send me what you like. Just don't ask for it on Monday's between 8-10PM. 

I have also decided to take over the Radio Valencia stream during the days when there isn't a live show being broadcast, to share my live bootleg library with you. Wednesday, June 24th from noon-2pm I have Pink Floyd live at the Fillmore West in San Francisco, April 29, 1970 cued up. What a treat!

Enjoy.

jh

Hell's Kitchen Radio with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram

State of the Union: Public Enemy
Truth: Alexander Ebert
I Get A Kick Out Of You: Tony Bennett

I'm The Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised: Johnny Paycheck
Steeler: Judas Priest
Save Your Soul: M.I.A.

VP of Snails: The Campbell Apartment
A Funky Space Reincarnation: Marvin Gaye
Sanford and Son: Quincy Jones

Sesame St: Rats of Unusual Size
Ça Plane Pour Moi: Plastic Bertrand
Lay Lady Lay: Magnet

Drive Back: Melvins/Mudhoney
Money: NASA (ft. David Byrne, Chuck D, Ras Congo, Seu Jorge and Z-Trip)

Vacancy: Neil Young
Oldest Story in the World: The Plimsouls

Let's Lynch The Landlord: L7
Ripple: The Persuasions 
Mirror in the Bathroom: The English Beat

Somebody to Love: The Great Society
Whiskey Bottle: Uncle Tupelo
Work Song: Nina Simone

Blood Like Cream: Red Fang
We Don't Quit: Flat Earthers

The Way of the World: Flipper
What A Wonderful World:  Louis Armstrong

No comments: