Monday, January 09, 2017

Hell's Kitchen Radio #288: Take Me On A Little Trip

Stream the journey, HERE!
Download two tickets to paradise, HERE!
Listen into all my shows here, or just scroll down.
You can subscribe to my show through iTunes here.

Time for a trip around the globe, musically speaking. Since we're early in the new year and I have yet to check out any new releases this seemed like the perfect time to focus on some international sounds. Tonight we go to West Africa, Central Africa, Thailand, Iran Turkey, India, Jamaica, and England for some really groovy excursions. When I shop for music I have a rule: if I purchase three records, one must be from the international section. Doing this I have really grown that genre over the years.

The show is pretty groovy throughout, so don't be shy about dancing while you're diggin' it.

I close the show with a very hard to find live acoustic version of New Speedway Boogie by the Grateful Dead. I'm going to commit to playing more music from my extensive live archive in the second hour of my show each week. This June I'll be co-hosting Rock Fight with sound engineer John Karr. Perhaps I have finally met my match. Tune in to find out.

***NEWS FLASH****It's time for the 2017 Run For The Lilies contest. You email me a list of ten famous people you believe will meet their maker by December 31, 2017, and the person with the most correct selections "wins". The only rule: you may not partake in their demise. Email me at mrjohnhell@gmail.com by 5PM Sunday, January 29th, 2017. I will announce the 2016 winner on my show (and their winning list) on Monday, January 30th. 

Enjoy.

jh

Hell's Kitchen with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram

It's A New Day: James Brown
Investigation: Carl Holmes

Spreadin' Fever: Hilton Felton
Groove Holmes: Beastie Boys

Brother's Gonna Work It Out: Willie Hutch
Monday Morning in Lagos: Fela Kuti

Arawan: Tinariwen
YomMaBan TaLangKan (Officer of Hell's Announcement): Sripal Jaipra
Circuito Chiuso: Armando Sciascia

Sunstoke/Mindtrain: Sun Dial
Hey Lion: Sofi Tukker

Miles From India: John McLaughlin
Fatim: Djeli Moussa
Theme from Hong Kong: Lee Perry

Fisherman: The Congos
Suicide Scherzo (Beethoven): Walter Cross
Feeling High: Witch

New Speedway Boogie: Grateful Dead (April 18, 1970 Family Dog At the Great Highway)

No comments: