Monday, January 26, 2015

Hell's Kitchen #205: Happy Toddie Time


Stream two bands for the price of one, HERE!
Download creativity, HERE!
Listen into all my shows here, or just scroll down
Subscribe to my show, via Subscribe via iTunes

Tonight on the show I had two, count them, TWO local bands in the studio. In the first hour, Erin, from the Oakland trio The Hot Toddies came by to talk up her band's 10th anniversary show happening this Saturday night at The Fillmore. They're a surf-pop band, with some rather bodacious lyrics. Erin had some fun stories to tell, and I know the upcoming show is going to be a hoot.

In the second hour Rebecca and Mike from Happy Fangs stopped in to talk up their show, also this Saturday night. They're headlining at Rickshaw Stop. Hmmm, which show to go to? If you haven't heard Happy Fangs yet, then you MUST listen to this interview. Rebecca was having nothing of what I was serving up. OUTSTANDING! She served up some delicious Hell to this here host. Their brand spankin' new release, Capricorn, dropped a couple of days ago. Check it out.

I asked both bands a favor. One said maybe, the other a resolute NO!

It's all about supporting live, local music. Stop being boring and go to a show this weekend. I'm going to see my man-crush, Ty Segall at the Great American Music Hall on Thursday night. It's the first time I've ever seen him, and I'm really pretty giddy about this. As much as I really want to get in close, because he's very physical on stage, I also want to be in that sweet spot in the middle of the room. What to do, what to do? On Saturday night, I'm going to miss seeing both of my guests, and head up to Terrapin Crossroads in San Rafael, to see Phil Lesh's new band Communion. I wonder what they're going to play? Also, this room has got to be the BEST sound room in the Bay Area. And why not? Phil has the money and the musical acumen to create the very best.

Ah, for the love of live music!

Stop being boring, and go have fun.

Enjoy.

jh

Hell's Kitchen with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook  

I Heard it on the X: Olivelawn
Lil Red: Bikini Kill
Cheap Trick Record: Bratmobile
Celebrity Compass: Bongwater

High in a Flat: Bevis Frond

Interview with Erin of The Hot Toddies

Surf Song: The Hot Toddies
Seattle: The Hot Toddies

Interview with Erin of The Hot Toddies

Boys on Bikes: The Hot Toddies
Jaguar Love: The Hot Toddies

Interview with Erin of The Hot Toddies

Summertime Blues: The Hot Toddies
Mary-Christ: Sonic Youth
Flower and Dream: Angel in Heavy Syrup

Interview with Happy Fangs

Raw Nights: Happy Fangs
Ton of Bricks: Happy Fangs

Interview with Happy Fangs

Cliche: Happy Fangs
In The Morning: Happy Fangs
Send/Receive: Wand
Diddley Daddy: Bo Diddley
Messin' with the Kid: Blues Brothers

Dinah-Mo Hum: Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention (1974 11 17 - Spectrum Theater, Philadelphia, PA)
Sleigh Ride: Fuzz (Kings Barcade, Raleigh, NC October 10, 2013)

No comments: