Monday, January 05, 2015

Hell's Kitchen #202: Grunge vs. BritPop

Stream this premium battle, HERE!
Download the Grunge/BritPop charade, HERE!
Listen into all my shows here, or just scroll down
Subscribe to my show, via Subscribe via iTunes

It's all Grunge vs. BritPop tonight on Hell's Kitchen with John Hell and David Fraser.

It's hard to believe that the 90s ended 15 years ago. It's even harder to believe that Grunge started more than 25 years ago. That's just ridiculous to me. What's even more ridiculous to me is that I was in my 20s that long ago. Like many, I too was smitten when I first encountered the early sounds of Grunge and Britpop and Shoegaze, starting around 1989. And who wouldn't you be? The distorted guitar, the pounding rhythms of the drums and the bass, the lyrics so full of angst and Generation X-style miasma. Everyone called us Slackers, but I never saw us like that. There was some serious talent coming out of that time. I remember so many friends being into bands like Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, and of course Pearl Jam. I couldn't stand any of those bands. I remember asking all of them, out of all of these bands that you love so much who will you remember, and which will be played regularly on the radio 20 years from now? I correctly predicted that Nirvana would stand the test of time, and not because they were so brilliant, which I do think that they were, but mostly because they borrowed from heavy hitters, such as the Pixies and the Beatles, and also because Kurt Cobain was really an amazing songwriter.

My favorite band of the time and still in my top five today, is Mudhoney. And why not? What an amazing band. If you know your history, then you know that Mark Arm and Steve Turner only started Mudhoney as a bit of a joke and a side project. They never meant for it to go as far as it has. And though it's hard to see how the Melvins are considered the godfathers of Grunge, I can appreciate their obvious influence on the genre, while still recognizing that there really isn't any grunge in them at all.

As for Britpop, there are a few bands in the genre that I took two. Mostly Swervedriver to be honest. I also like The Vaseline's, and My Bloody Valentine. But I mostly looked at Britpop as a genre that was trying to rip off what was happening in Seattle. I may get hate mail for that, which is fine, but I standby it.

This show reminded me so much of my early days at KFJC. David was a great co-host too! David grew up in Seattle during the Grunge heyday and knows his music history. We both soon realized that this is obviously part one in an ongoing series. Listen for David's return in the months to come. He may even take a shot at joining the ranks of great Radio Valencia DJs. Excellent!

Enjoy.

jh

Hell's Kitchen with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook 

Show Me The Way: Dinosaur Jr.
Rocket Reducer #62: The Melvins
Dies Iraea: Melvins
I Wanna Be Adored: Stone Roses

D7: Wipers
In And Out Of Grace: Mudhoney
Son of a Gun: Vaselines
Grease Box: Tad

Only Shallow: My Bloody Valentine
Revolution: Mudhoney
Song 2: Blur
Backwater: Meatpuppets

Lady Killers: Lush
I Like Fucking: Bikini Kill
Seaweed: The Gits
Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam: Nirvana
Queen Bitch: Green River

The Scratch: 7 Year Bitch
Rave Down: Swervedriver
I Hate Rock and Roll: Jesus and Mary Chain
Mousetrap: Ride
Black Metallic: Catherine Wheel

Dollar Bill: Screaming Trees

Fade Away: Oasis

No comments: