Sunday, May 01, 2022

John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza - Monday 6-8PM Pacific - The New Masada Quartet and Electric Masada March 2022

 

John Hell's Live Bootleg Bonanza

Monday's 6-8PM Pacific

http://radiovalencia.fm



When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say live and let live. You know you did, you know, you did, you know you did. But in this ever changing world in which we're living makes you give in and cry...

Say listen to John Zorn!

Anyway, that came to mind. Yeah.

I have an inordinate amount of John Zorn-related shows from so many of his projects, that I could easily host a weekly special on him and not repeat a project for a few months. That's a lot. I got into Zorn during my days at KFJC. I think it was about 1993 when I first heard Masada, with Zorn, Dave Douglas, Greg Cohen and Joey Baron. 

It didn't take me long to gobble up all of the Zorn I could find. I think Naked City and Cobra were next. WOW, that's different. And then came the one-two punch of Electric Masada and Masada String Trio and I was hooked. I mean really hooked. 

Tonight on the show I'm excited feature to full sets from the Big Ears Fest in Knoxville, Tennessee, March 27, 2022. 

We start off with New Electric Masada, featuring: 
- John Zorn; composer, Alto Sax
- Bill Frisell; guitar
- Julian Lage; guitar
- John Medeski; organ
- Brian Marsella; piano
- Trevor Dunn; electric bass
- Kenny Wollesen; drums
- Ches Smith; drums
- Kenny Grohowski; percussion


(FOB) Schoeps MK4 cardioids (4th row, center, aisle) > N Box Platinum > Tascam Dr-2d (WAV16/48)
Recorded by TBG
Edited & Mastered (Adobe Audition) by Joe Noel

Then we get the New Masada Quartet featuring:

- John Zorn; composer, alto saxophone
- Julian Lage; guitar
- Jorge Roeder; bass
- Kenny Wollesen; drums 

(FOB) Schoeps MK4 cardioids (4th row, center, aisle) > N Box Platinum > Tascam Dr-2d (WAV16/48)
Recorded by TBG
Edited & Mastered (Adobe Audition) by Joe Noel

I close out the night with a few tracks from Chaos Maigck, featuring:
- Matt Hollenberg; guitar
- Kenny Grohowski; drums, percussion, congas
- John Medeski; organ
- Brian Marsella; electric piano

Lineage: (FOB) Schoeps MK4 cardioids (5th row, center, aisle) > N Box Platinum > Tascam Dr-2d (WAV16/48)
Recorded by TBG
Edited & Mastered (Adobe Audition) by Joe Noel

 
You can find my mostly-complete list of live shows right here. Have a request? Leave a comment.

Support these bands. Buy their officially released music and merch, and never ever sell live bootlegs. These are for trade only.

Stick around Monday's 8-10PM Pacific for my weekly music mix, Hell's Kitchen Radio. Lots of new music to share with you every week.

Enjoy and pay it forward.

jh

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook

Follow me on Instagram   

 

No comments: