Monday, December 23, 2019

Hell's Kitchen Radio #384: One Of The Bad Guys

Download the Holiday Cheer HERE!
Listen into all my shows here!
Subscribe to my show, via Subscribe via iTunes

OK, so someone posted this fabulous YouTube clip recently of every sample used in Paul's Boutique (though I think a few are missing), and I of course just had to track down each and every sample, 99 in all. I already had about 60 of the tracks, but the hunt for the remainder has been fun, nevertheless. And you, my dear listener, are the one's to benefit from this scavenger hunt. This is why you tune in, right? Right.

Anyway, I start the second hour with eight tracks used to sample "Egg Man" and then follow it up with said Beastie Boys track. I'll be doing this for each of the tracks on this classic LP in the weeks to come. Tune in and enjoy.

I also took this holiday show to share some longer and stranger tracks as you can see from the playlist below. I picked up a couple of James Brown/JBs LPs this past week, as well as some 80s and 90s punk 7"s . I also close out the show with a few live cuts that I think are worthy for your ears. If you're playing the LDB game (and why would you?) then you better stop following the Abbey Lincoln track. Then again, the Lou Rawls version is my favorite LDB produced.

Happy holidaze and Treason's Greetings to you all.

jh

Hell's Kitchen Radio with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram

Sister Ray: Velvet Underground
I Wanna Get Rid Of You: Psycotic Pineapple

One Of The Bad Guys: Tour
Boom Boom: John Lee Hooker
Dr. Seuss is Satan: The Guttersluts
Saga of the Street Music: SF Street Music

Alligator: Grateful Dead (May 5, 1967, Fillmore Auditorium, SF, CA)

It's Christmas: Adam MacKintosh
We've Got A Bigger Problem Now: Dead Kennedys

Superfly: Curtis Mayfield
Sport: Lightnin' Rod
Drop It In The Slot: Tower of Power
The Murder: Bernard Hermann
You Gonna Get Yours: Public Enemy

Bring the Noise: Public Enemy
Dance to the Music: Sly and the Family Stone
Main Theme and First Victim: John Williams

Egg Man: Beastie Boys
The Wedge: The JBs

War/No More Trouble: Bob Marley and the Wailers (May 30, 1980 Hallenstadion, Zurich Switzerland)
Sugar In My Bowl: Nina Simone (May 6, 1988 Fabirk, Hamburg, Germany)
God Bless The Child: Abbey Lincoln (October 12, 1980 Nancy Jazz Pulsations, Nancy, France)

Little Drummer Boy: Lou Rawls

No comments: