Monday, July 17, 2017

Hell's Kitchen Radio #309: Cash & Cave

Stream these Legends, HERE!

Download the Vulnerability, HERE!

Listen into all my shows here.

You can subscribe to my show through iTunes here.

This ain't no bar fight (though I'm fairly confident that Cash would win). No, this is a love fest. Johnny Cash and Nick Cave have more in common, musically, than many other combos. Cave has claimed that it was the fire and brimstone preachers of the American south that have inspired him the most in his songwriting, while Cash lived it by being raised there!

I've been wanting to host this special for a while now, but it's not easy with only two hours to cover two men of such musical prominence. I'm sure the critics can tear my sets apart, which is fine. How would you improve on this show? Leave comments. In retrospect, I could have played Cave's version of "The Singer", and left out the Cash/Dylan duet. Other than that I could have used about six more hours to really do them justice. Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions on my FB thread.

Next Monday night will feature lots of new music and some psych jams.

Enjoy.

jh

Hell's Kitchen Radio with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram

Mercy Seat: Johnny Cash
Flesh and Blood: Johnny Cash
Devil's Right Hand: Johnny Cash

Red Right Hand: Nick Cave
Moonland: Nick Cave
There She Goes My Beautiful World: Nick Cave

Delia's Gone: Johnny Cash
Cocaine Blues: Johnny Cash
Stagger Lee: Nick Cave
Where the Wild Roses Grow: Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue
Give My Love to Rose: Johnny Cash

Redemption Song: Johnny Cash and Joe Strummer
I've Been Everywhere: Johnny Cash and Lynn Anderson
The Ship Song: Nick Cave

Tupelo: Nick Cave
Jennifer's Veil: Birthday Party
The Folk Singer: Johnny Cash
Girl From North Country: Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan

25 Minutes to Go: Johnny Cash
Don't Take Your Guns To Town: Johnny Cash
Wanted Man: Johnny Cash
Jubilee Street: Nick Cave

Super Heathen Child: Grinderman
Hurt: Johnny Cash

Cindy: Johnny Cash and Nick Cave
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry: Johnny Cash and Nick Cave

I cannot lie, "There She Goes My Beautiful World" is so damn beautiful, I think it's my favorite Nick Cave song. This version in particular is brilliant. Enjoy.

No comments: