Monday, May 22, 2017

Hell's Kitchen Radio #304: It's Getting Dark In Here

Stream the Darkness, HERE!

Download the Deep Deep Despair (not really), HERE!

Listen into all my shows here.

You can subscribe to my show through iTunes here.

I think I play it a little too safe on my show from time to time. There are nights that I bring a lot of black metal, or speed metal, or, well, anything darker than I usually play for you, but I hold off thinking "they don't want to hear this stuff". I think I've been insulting you, and for that I am sorry. I just didn't want to ostracize my audience. I fell into the "lowest-common-denominator" style of programming. Damn, what is wrong with me?

To make up for my radio shortcomings I decided to get fairly dark tonight. There's some metal, punk and garage thrown in, as well as some pretty choice hard rock cuts. It's loud, it's fun, and from the feedback I received during the show, well-considered.

Radio is supposed to be about the art of the segue. I choose music that I believe will move you. That doesn't mean it will always be a pleasant movement. It does mean that I have thought hard about why I want to play this song, and hope that you will take the time to consume it. I'm painting a two hour audio picture just for you. Isn't that great?! Just another in the many reasons that I love Radio Valencia.

Next week I'll probably play two hours of Americana and Bakersfield Country. Also, I have tickets to see Dave and Phil Alvin to give away. Tune in!

This Thursday night at Folio Books on 24th Street in Noe Valley, I'm interviewing music critic and author Joel Selvin about his latest book "Altamont, The Rolling Stones, The Hells Angels, and the Inside Story of Rock's Darkest Day". It should make for a great hour. It starts at 7PM. Come on down and meet me and Joel, and get a copy of this great read. I flew through it. I thought I knew everything there was to know about Altamont. Well I do now.

Enjoy.

jh

Hell's Kitchen with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram

Way Down in the Hole: DoMaJe
The Horned Goddess: The Sword

New Flesh: Fuzz
Flies: Red Fang
No Time For The Blues: OBN IIIs

Let's Get Killed: The Immortal Lee County Killers
Interstellar Overdrive: The Melvins

Touch Me I'm Sick: Mudhoney
Aquarian: Sleep

Cult Leader: Dopethrone
Farewell: Boris

Magic: Zig Zags
Honky Time: James Hall
Teenage Phase: Adam Mackintosh

Kicking a Can of Worms: Metz
Epoch of the Tyrant: Hot Fog

Squeeze Me Macaroni: Mr. Bungle (01-10-1991 Club Lingerie, Los Angeles, CA)
Suicide: Thin Lizzy (09-25-1980 Sun Plaza, Nakano, Japan)

Uncle Son: The Kinks

No comments: