Monday, February 16, 2015

Hell's Kitchen #208: A Black Eye With Dimples

Stream this unique art piece, HERE!
Download this piece de resistance, HERE!
Listen into all my shows here, or just scroll down
Subscribe to my show, via Subscribe via iTunes


Another night in bliss. Really, this radio thing might just go somewhere (says my 21 year old self). I had my chance to play shitty commercial shlock a long time ago. I worked at KRQR and then at KLLC-Alice FM. Worst. Jobs. EVER! "Here's what you're going to play, and here's what you're going to say. Don't deviate, if you know what's good for you". Oh joy.

Why have I continued to be involved in non-commercial, online, and pirate radio since 1988? I think it's plain to see, or hear, as it may be. Just take a look at the playlist below, and listen to any of my mic breaks. I could never do this on a commercial station. I would have been fired after my first show. And why? I'm not offending many people. I'm not swearing. I'm not any more insulting than your typical morning jock. I'm not anything like them. I host thoughtful interviews with local talent, and I play quality music from many genres. I just don't get it.

Tonight I was feeling a little blue, so we've got that in the mix, along with some country, psych, and a very tasty live Grateful Dead track from 1974. Unlike your local commercial station, there's a little something for everyone. Take a taste, and get satisfied.

Enjoy.

jh

Hell's Kitchen with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook 

Mob Rules: Black Sabbath
Pray Til You Sweat: The Flesh Eaters
The Vienna Waltz: Rube Waddell

Nobody Loves Me: Hank Snow
Red Dirt Child: Emmylou Harris
Black Eye: Uncle Tupelo
Women's Prison: Loretta Lynn

Drunken Hearted Boy: Allman Brothers Band
I Get A Kick Out Of You: Tony Bennett
I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts of Town: Jimmy Smith
I Ain't Got You: Jimmy Reed

Dimples: John Lee Hooker
Flight: Wooden Shjips
Take Me Back to the Void: Wand

Interstellar Overdrive: Pink Floyd

Eyes Of The World: Grateful Dead (09-11-74 Alexander Palace, London, England)
Lilac Wine: Jeff Buckley (live)

No Pussy Blues: Grinderman

No comments: