Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Season in Hell #126: Not-So-Stormy Monday

It was such a beautiful day, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, it's daylight savings time, so it's staying lighter later, and love is in the air. I can't think of a better time to play two hours of the Blues.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the Blues is not about feeling bad. The Blues is about taking all those feelings you have down in your soul and shouting it out to the world! I was born in a blues town, Toledo, Ohio. How, you ask, is Toledo, Ohio a blues town? During the Great Depression Toledo, Ohio has the "Great" distinction of having the highest unemployment rate for an urban area; over 85%. Talk about the blues!

I haven't lived there since 1981, but don't let that stop me. Oh no, no, no. I now live in the most expensive city in the US, San Francisco, and I make it on a teacher's salary, no less. I'm no martyr.

For a long time, when I've gone record shopping (yes, I said record shopping, as I still purchase vinyl, and I always will, thank you very much), I've made it a point, if I'm buying more than two items, to make certain that at least one is either international, country, or blues. Because of this I have a rather vast international, country and blues library. I buy a lot of records. That's one vice I'm proud to call my own.

I remember in 1978 when my dad brought home the Blues Brothers' "Briefcase Full of Blues" LP. I loved it from the start. I memorize every nuance of that record, and easily wore out that first copy. It was from that record that I was able to set out on an adventure through the history of not only the Blues, but the history of American music, going back to slave songs and gospels, as well as the history of Rock 'n' Roll. It's safe to say that my musical knowledge was birthed from the Blues.

So tonight it's all Blues. How happy I will be! You should recognize many of the names on the list, but perhaps not all of the songs. And vice-verse.

This show is a great history lesson. Get a pencil, write it down, and feel some love for the Blues.

If you're feeling way down low, then download this show.
If you're feeling mellow, stream this fellow.
If you feel like a low down dirty dog, then listen to all of my shows by going here, or just scroll down.

Enjoy.

jh 

Hey Bartender: Floyd Dixon
It Must Have Been the Devil: Otis Spann

I Don't Know: The Blues Brothers
Rollin' and Tumblin': Elmore James
I'm Bad Like Jesse James: John Lee Hooker

My Last Affair: Howlin' Wolf
I Ain't Got You: Jimmy Reed
Cocaine and Whiskey: Eugene Huggins
Bring It On Home: Sonny Boy Williamson

Penitentiary Blues: Lightning Hopkins
Hoochie Coochie Man: Muddy Waters (May 14, 1977 1839 Theater, SF, CA)
Got My Mojo Working: Ann Cole

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl: Grateful Dead (09-29-68, Berkeley, CA)

It's A Man Down There: Gi Crockett
Stormy Weather: Etta James
Flip, Flop and Fly: Big Joe Turner
I'm A Man: Bo Diddley

Bad Luck Blues: Lightnin' Slim
"B" Movie Boxcar Blues: Delbert McClinton
Ridin' High: Joe Louis Walker

I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town: Allman Brothers
I've Got A Mind to Give Up Living: The Butterfield Blues Band

Shotgun Blues: Downchild Blues Band
Stormy Monday: Buddy Guy & Junior Wells (1983-09-30 Chestnut Cabaret, Philadelphia, PA)

No comments: