Monday, May 11, 2020

Hell's Kitchen Radio #392: Speedway To My Bed

Download the Dream HERE

Listen into all my shows here!
Subscribe to my show, via Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe to my Spotify Podcast HERE!

Another week another show from my bed. It's a great bed, really. I can't say enough good things about the comfort. You should really try it out with me. Perhaps when all of this hullabaloo is past us, I can have a contest and host the winner in my bed for my show. It wouldn't be the first time.

When I was a DJ at 89.7FM KFJC (88-97), our late, great engineer Eric Weaver liked to use me as a guinea pig when it came to live remotes. I hosted a number of live morning shows from local cafes, when we had the idea of hosting a show from my bedroom. It was fundraiser time and we figured someone would want a chance of having spending the morning in bed with a dashing young DJ and a crew of engineers, all cramped in my little bedroom. And we were right! We called it "Breakfast in Bed with the Rev! I went by the Reverend Dah Wave back in those days. Truth be told John Hell was born in late August 1994. But that story is for another time.

I can't recall much about the couple that donated for the chance to spend their morning in bed with me. They were in their 20s, and thought it would be a hoot to spend 6-10am in the San Mateo bedroom with a long haired non-commercial radio DJ, his three roommates, and three staff members of KFJC. Actually one of my roommates was a KFJC staffer (RIP Spiderman). I made everyone pancakes, eggs and bacon for breakfast, and for the mic breaks I made them jump into my bed with me. It had to feel real, so every 10-20 minutes for four hours they had snuggle up with me in my queen-sized bed...with my engineer and another staffer sitting around too.

The music was being played back in the KFJC studios. We would "hand off" to the board op when we were done talking, and coordinate when to come back live to my bedroom.

Why am I telling you all of this? Oh right, I have been doing my shows from my bed ever since this pandemic has started. At least I'm lucky enough to be able to do this. Trust me, I do not take it for granted. I will not just phone in a show. I really love being able to share two hours a week with you. I'm thinking about taking on a second slot where I can play my live show in full. I have thousands. Don't believe me? Take a look for yourself. I still have a few hundred to add to that list, and it just keeps on growing.

I'll keep playing the music. You keep listening, and we'll get through all of this together.

Enjoy.

jh

Hell's Kitchen Radio with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram

Long Tall Sally: Little Richard
Lucille: Little Richard

Kansas City: Little Richard
Heeby-Jeebies: Little Richard

Rip It Up: Little Richard
Ready Teddy: Little Richard
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On: Little Richard

Everything I Say Just Goes Right Through Her Heart: Peter Laughner
I Heard Her Call My Name: Mr Elevator and The Brain Hotel
Sucker Punch: The Mandatory Eight

Speedway: Black Midi
A4: Dungen

Control: Amyl and the Sniffers
Shitbeard: Cows
Boris: Melvins
The Moon Shines: Ensemble of the Bulgarian Republic

Isolation: Ty Segall
I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You: Aretha Franklin
I Got My Mojo Working: Ann Cole
Papa, Won't You Let Me Go To Town With You: Bobby Gentry

Je T'Aime, Moi Non Plus: Cibo Matto
Bang, Bang: Nancy Sinatra
The Lady Loves Me: Elvis Presley and Anne Margaret

Queen Bitch: Green River
Nothing in this World Can Stop Me Worrying About That Girl: The Kinks
The Mayor: Melle Mel

False Prophet: Bob Dylan
Diamond In Your Mind: Tom Waits
Happy Boy: The Beat Farmers

No comments: