Monday, April 09, 2018

Hell's Kitchen Radio #332: Won't You Come Home?

Stream the Improvisation HERE!

Download the Mystery HERE!
Listen into all my shows here!
Subscribe to my show, via Subscribe via iTunes

It's another one of those nights where I just have to do a deeper dive into my cast library of music. There's something old, something new, something ripped off, something I don't think I've ever actually listened to before.

That's fair, isn't it?

Should a DJ give a listen to EVERYTHING before they play it for you? How much preparation do you require from your DJ? How OCD are you, anyway?

I used to know a DJ at a former station I was at who would spend hours writing out his playlist. We hosted four-hour shows at this particular station. I would watch him work meticulously on his playlist. Draft after draft. He would write down songs/artists, and then scratch some out and and fill it in with another. I would tune in from time to time and could really appreciate the effort, but it also felt a little stiff. Maybe it was his mic breaks, but it never felt that authentic to me.

More often than not I'm inspired by the events leading up to my show, and I pull my music a few hours beforehand based on this. I enjoy playing new music more often than not, but I also love peppering some older "library" tracks in for good measure. Some shows, like the one from two weeks ago, take on a life of their own, and I get inspired during the show itself. Thank goodness I bring along my trusty external HD with 100GB of music.

Enjoy.

jh

Hell's Kitchen Radio with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram

If I'm In Luck I Might Get Picked Up: Betty Davis
I Get A Kick Out Of You (Frank Sinatra cover): Tony Bennett
T.V. Eye: The Stooges

Astronomy Domine: Voivod (Pink Floyd cover)
Swing Low, Sweet Cadillac: Dizzy Gillespie
Got My Mind Made Up: 2Pac

High Heeled Sneakers (Tommy Tucker cover): The Mummies
Love Buzz: Shocking Blue
You Can't Lose What You Never Had: Muddy Waters

Red House: Jimi Hendrix

Hillbilly Math: Dale Crover
Revolution Blues: Neil Young
Satan is a Bummer: Bush Tetras

Tattoo (The Who cover): Petra Haden
Life on Mars: David Bowie
Tangled Up In Blue: Bob Dylan

Dimples (John Lee Hooker cover): The Allman Brothers Band
Straight to Hell: The Clash
The Devil's Chasing Me: Reverend Horton Heat

Joset of Nazareth's Blues: Titus Andronicus
Diamonds on my Mind: Tom Waits

No comments: