Monday, December 07, 2015

Hell's Kitchen Radio #245: Grab Bag Of Musical Goodness

Stream this storm of sonic thunder, HERE!
Download end of the drought, HERE!
Listen into all my shows here, or just scroll down

The weather is changing in San Francisco. If you live here then you know something is up. If you've only just visited here, or have never been near the city by the bay, then you probably figure that it being near winter, it's bound to be getting chilly in SF. I've lived in the Bay Area since 1982, and though the changing seasons can bring a change in the temp, over the past five years, or so, it's been pretty much 68 degrees, and no chance of rain, 12 months out of the year. Sounds blissful, doesn't it? Tell that to my yard.

Anyway, it's an El Nino year, and the rains have slowly begun to descend upon us folks in the bubble (we know how lucky we've had it, hence: "the bubble"), and I can't really think of anyone who's complaining. I like wearing sweaters. Mine are about five years out of date, but that being said, what was once old is new again!

The same can be said for my playlist. If you haven't heard it, then it's new to you! Lots of genres to choose from tonight, and a second hour full of tasty live cuts, including Ike and Tina Turner on Soul Train, Nina Simone in France, a rare Dead track they only touched upon a few times in their live shows.

Speaking of the Good ol' Grateful Dead, with the year coming to a close I'm considering hosting a full two-hour live Dead show on Monday, December 21st. That would be fun...for me. And I hope for you too. I'll post beforehand if I plan on doing it. There's too much to choose from.

Monday, December 14th will be my BEST OF 2015!!! What a great year for music. Tune in. I'm sure all of the Radio Valencia shows will be doing one form of a Best Of... over the next few weeks. Be sure to check in often.

Enjoy.

jh

Hell's Kitchen with John Hell
Mondays 8-10PM
Radio Valencia in SF
http://radiovalencia.fm

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow Radio Valencia on Twitter
Follow Radio Valencia on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram

I'm Jewish and You Know It: LMFAO
Pasties and a G-String: Tom Waits
Shadrach: Beastie Boys

Earth People: Dr. Octogon
Something Else: Cannonball Adderley
Fear of a Black Planet: Public Enemy
Storming the Death Star: Roots Radics band

Children Crying: The Congos
I Don't Want to be a Soldier, Mama: John Lennon
Every Grain of Sand: Giant Sand
Imagine: George W. Bush

Natbush City Limits: Ike and Tina Turner (Soul Train January 1975)
Long Time Gone: Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young (Auditorium Theatre, Chicago IL, 12/13/69)

The Mob Rules: Black Sabbath (August 09, 1992 - Boston, MA)
Song Remains the Same/Rain Song: Led Zeppelin (Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, BC, Canada
March 19, 1975)

Playing In The Band/Stronger Than Dirt Or Milkin' The Turkey: Grateful Dead (7/16/76 Orpheum Theatre, SF, CA)

Working Man: Rush (01/26/80 Mid-Hudson Civic Center. Poughkeepsie, NY)
Black is the Color of my True Loves Hair: Nina Simone (08/09/2000 Jazz In Marciac, France)

For those of you who have no idea what El Nino is, take a look at this short tutorial.


No comments: