Monday, May 06, 2013

Doin' It To Death 2013

Today is the 7th annual Doin' It To Death, James Brown Birthday Extravaganza, at KFJC

I spent nine amazing years at the Wave of the West, KFJC. For four years I hosted the Friday, mid-day Jazz/Soul/Funk show, where I would play a halh-hour of James Brown at noon. I called it the "Brown Bag Lunch". Damn that was fun!

After James died on Christmas 2006, it just made sense that KFJC did an annual birthday celebration for him. Considering his birthday is May 3rd, and KFJC hosts the Month of Mayhem every May, where DJs host specials all month long, it was the perfect opportunity to show love for the Godfather of Soul.

Every year I host the prime time slot. Although I love the classics, and my favorite era was 68-75, I also love to play live, mashups, remixes, and covers too. I've also found some other ditties that I know you're going to love.

You can check out each our of my set by clicking on the links below. It's only up on the KFJC site for the next week and a half, so get to it. I believe you can download all of it, so you can enjoy JB everywhere you go.

Doin' it to Death hour one of John Hell's set.
Doin' it to Death hour two of John Hell's set.
Doin' it to Death hour three of John Hell's set.
Doin' it to Death hour four of John Hell's set.

Check out all of the Month of Mayhem specials on KFJC.

Sex Machine Turns Me On: James Brown vs. Edwin R Starr
James Brown: Nancy Dupree
No One Here But Us Chickens: James Brown

Lickin' Stick, Lickin' Stick: James Brown
Get on the Good Foot: James Brown
Kansas City: James Brown

I Never, Never, Never Will Forget: James Brown
Talkin' Loud and Sayin' Nothing: James Brown
The Future Shock of the World: James Brown
Ain't That A Groove: James Brown

Say it Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud: James Brown
Oh, Baby Don't you Weep: James Brown
Jabo: James Brown
I'll Go Crazy: James Brown

I Can't Stand Myself: James Brown
I Feel That Old Feeling Coming On: James Brown
Gettin' A Little Hipper: James Brown
Lesson Two: Steinski

Whole Lotta Sex Machine: James Brown vs. Led Zeppelin
Cold Sweat (live): James Brown (Live in Dallas 08-26-68)

Think (About it): Lyn Collins
Let it be Me: Vickie Anderson & James Brown
You Got to Have a Job: Bobby Byrd
Lickin' Stick, Lickin' Stick: Willie Dickson & The Playboys

Super Good: Myra Barnes
Rice and Ribs: Fred Wesley and the New JB's
Shake it Baby: Maceo & All the Kings Men
Livin' in America: Noisettes
Free James Brown: Robert Lusson

Since You've Been Gone: James Brown
The Boss (Duke Skywalker Edit): James Brown
Get Up Off Of Me: James Brown
That's Life: James Brown

Get Up Off Of That Thing: James Brown
Blues Brothers Church Scene: James Brown
Funky Drummer: James Brown

My Thang: James Brown
Sexy Kiss Machine: Prince vs. James Brown
Take You Back Living In Unity : Afrika Bambaataa Feat James Brown vs Hexstatic
Sledgehammer Machine (DJ Prince Re-mashup): Peter Gabriel vs James Brown

Brother Rapp: James Brown
James Brown's Boo-Ga-Loo: James Brown
Fight Against Drug Abuse: James Brown

No comments: